Thursday, April 8, 2010

Granderson fitting in nicely


After 3 games in historic Fenway Park, Curtis Granderson has already submerged himself right smack in the middle of the storied rivalry between the Yanks and BoSox. Granderson went over the wall in his first at-bat as a Yankee, and it doesn't stop there. Although Granderson homered in his first at-bat he was scrutinized by the NY media for striking out to end the first game of the season. Welcome to New York.

CG continued his hot hitting with some late inning heroics last night, taking Red Sox closer Spencer Pratt, I mean Jonathan Papelbon (ever notice how those two douches look eerily similar?) deep into the right field bleachers. No pie in the face yet for Curtis, but indeed a game winning longball none the less.

I have been a fan of Granderson since first I first saw him play at Comerica Park in beautiful downtown Detroit in 2005. Needless to say I was delighted by the trade, funny how having a slight connection to a player makes him become "your" player. My wife grew up in Detroit so I frequent the city regularly, and being a former speedy centerfielder myself, I was naturally drawn to Curtis. It goes to show that people do actually listen to you when you talk, after Grando's first homer in pinstripes my text inbox became flooded with phrases like "there's your boy!" or "you are gonna love having this guy". I hope the same can be said about Johny Damon in D-town but time will tell, I reassured my Detroit contingent that they were going to love having the Sheff wearing the old english D, but that did not go quite as swimmingly as I had prognosticated.

As anticipated John Sterling of WCBS has come up with another zinger of a homer call for the new Yankee, waxing off his golden vocal chords, Sterling coined the phrase "The Grandy man can!". As usual Sterling reached deep into his bag of puns for this one.
Check out this article debating what Sterling's "Grand" call will be.


The Yanks Are off and running, and now head back to Tampa to take on the Rays at the Trop. Javier Vazquez vs David Price should make for a great Friday night match up.


Michael Clark (emsea)

No comments:

Post a Comment