Tuesday, March 9, 2010

WHITE GLOVES vs WHITE KNUCKLES




So we all have seen the footage over and over again, and just like Keslowski's # 12 car we are flipping out. But are we?

It seems to me that no one is overly concerned with the fact that Carl Edwards used his #99 Ford as a potentially deadly weapon. It seems to me that the only way any one would care is if this, god for bid, ended in a driver's death.

NASCAR stated earlier in the year that the cuffs were off, as stated by NASCAR vice president Robin Pemberton, “Boys, have at it, and have a good time.” I agree the racing this year has been the best since the early part of the decade, but do we need to be reminded of our own mortality while leisurely watching racing? The Boys are having a good time out there for sure, but any more of this nonsense and we will be back to the sterile white gloves racing rather than the intense white knuckle racing we are enjoying on a weekly basis.

Another interesting point to make is the lack of remorse from Edwards. To be honest I kind of admire such candor. Edwards stated in plain English that Brad [Keslowski] knows the score between the two of them, and in no way alluded to this wreck being an accident. The guy is not going to lie to a couple million race fans in his post race interview, he could have "toed the NASCAR line", acted remorseful and not been placed on probation. Instead he spoke from the heart, although as heated as he was he still managed to plea the fifth in a way, he did not come right out and say "I wrecked him cause I hate him". Edwards was handed a 3 race probation for his on track antics.

In fact Edwards went on his Facebook page and waxed philosophically about the code he lives by, he stated:

“My options: Considering that Brad wrecks me with no regard for anyone’s safety or hard work, should I: A) Keep letting him wreck me? B) Confront him after the race? C) Wait til Bristol and collect other cars? or D) Take care of it now?”

“I want to be clear that I was surprised at his flight and very relieved when he walked away,” Edwards continued. “Every person has to decide what code they want to live by and hopefully this explains mine.”

It is obvious that he chose option "D" and lives by a code not too far from that of Billy the Kid, but hey Carl this is NASCAR not The Wild West.

Michael Clark (emsea)





No comments:

Post a Comment